Update: we are no longer accepting applications for this position. Thank you!
Position Opening: Research Assistant
Randi Korn & Associates, Inc., a consulting firm specializing in evaluating museum programs and exhibitions, is seeking a Research Assistant in its Alexandria, VA office.
- Data Collection. The Research Assistant will assist with data collection. This will likely include observations and interviews as part of formative evaluation (e.g, testing prototypes), focused observations of programs or exhibition components, and telephone interviews. It will also include collecting interviews, surveys, timing and tracking observations—it will be important for the Research Assistant to have a deep understanding of these methods in order to train and manage data collection teams.
- Hiring and managing data collection teams. We work with a national client base and regularly hire data collectors local to our client’s institution to conduct interviews, observations, and surveys. Management may include onsite training of data collectors, scheduling data collectors, monitoring quotas, monitoring the quality of the data, and problem solving data collection challenges that arise.
- Processing data. We work with a variety of data including questionnaires, timing and tracking observations, and interviews. The Research Assistant will be the primary point person for processing the data, which may include uploading audio files to transcriptionists, preparing files for quantitative data entry (programming an online survey or creating an excel or SPSS file), entering quantitative data or contracting a data entry assistant, and organizing raw data in preparation for analysis.
- Finalizing reports and other deliverables. RK&A produce numerous reports, proposals, and presentations each month. The Research Assistant will help in preparing these reports for distribution by proofreading, formatting, and assisting with designing data visualizations.
- Updating the RK&A website. The Research Assistant will help maintain the website by posting news to the site’s homepage, updating project lists and case studies, among other things. This includes helping to update our archives.
- Light analysis. Most analysis and reporting will be done by Associates, but the Assistant may be asked to conduct some analysis, such as coding survey responses, rubric scoring, or analyzing small samples of qualitative data. Analysis may be something that the Assistant does more of over time given the Assistant’s capabilities and project needs.
The ideal candidate will be a recent graduate from a master’s program in social sciences, education, museum studies, or a related field. The Assistant will be working with multiple RK&A Associates so must be able to communicate effectively within the team about their workload and prioritize based on needs. The qualified candidate must be detail-oriented and able to juggle multiple projects. A passion for museums or other kinds of informal learning environments is preferred.
Please submit your application via email to email@example.com. Your cover letter should be the body of the email and your PDF resume included as an attachment.
RK&A offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. For information on RK&A, please visit rka-learnwithus.com.